[OpenAFS] Re: Tuning the -daemons.

Jan Johansson janj@it.su.se
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:28:17 +0200

Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Reviewing your original post, it has occurred to me that your
> problem could be a symptom of an issue a number of sites are
> seeing with callback breaks. Essentially, it is possible for
> the thread in client that handles incoming network traffic to
> hang whilst handling a callback break. If this happens, it
> appears to the fileserver like the client is no longer handling
> data, and you will see the errors that you have been seeing.

So let me see if understand this problem correctly.

1. The IMAP server wants to update the status of a mail.

2. The AFS server starts breaking CallBacks.

3. The IMAP server is waiting for for the AFS server to say OK on
the mail update.

4. Some other AFS server wants to break CallBacks on the IMAP
server and since the IMAP server is busy waiting for the first
AFS server it can't respond.

5. Things go bananas.

> We believe that this behaviour is fixed in 1.6.0pre4. If you
> still have your test environment, it would be very interesting
> to know whether you still see these problems.

Is this 1.6.0pre4 for server or client?