[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.0pre7 and Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) cannot aklog

Kristy Kallback-Rose kallbac@indiana.edu
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:56:17 -0400

Well, it appears I have one of the Macs which is blacklisted from =
booting into 64-bit mode --though I can run Lion. If you want to know =
more about what I'm referring to you can see the workaround that people =
did for Snow Leopard and the same issue here http://netkas.org/?p=3D189 =
Though I have not seem similar fixes for Lion, nor do I want to support =
users doing that sort of fix.

Regarding getting OpenAFS working on this type of system, do you have a =
recommendation for next steps? Should I build openafs from source on =
this machine? We will no doubt have users running into this problem as =
the semester begins.

Thanks,
Kristy

On Aug 8, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Kristy Kallback-Rose wrote:

>>>=20
>>=20
>> i386 tells us 32 bit, which is not the default.
>>=20
>>> (kernel) User-space log flags changed from 0x0 to 0xfff.
>>> (kernel) Received kext load request from user space.
>>> (kernel) Received request from user space to load kext =
org.openafs.filesystems.afs.
>>> (kernel) Loading kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs.
>>> (kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.mach is already loaded.
>>> (kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.bsd is already loaded.
>>> (kernel) Kext com.apple.kpi.libkern is already loaded.
>>> (kernel) Allocated link buffer for kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs =
at 0x1562000 (851968 bytes).
>>> (kernel) Kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs executable loaded; 208 =
pages at 0x1562000 (load tag 117).
>>> (kernel) Kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs calling module start =
function.
>>> (kernel) Kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs did not start (return code =
0x5).
>>> (kernel) Kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs start failed (result 0x5).
>>> (kernel) Kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs failed to load =
(0xdc008017).
>>> (kernel) Failed to load kext org.openafs.filesystems.afs (error =
0xdc008017).
>>=20
>> which sadly isn't that useful, but is the error.
>>=20
>> is there a reason you're booting 32 bit?
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks for your quick reply. I didn't realize it was going into 32-bit =
mode by default, but now under=20
> About This Mac --> More Info.. -> System Report --> Software --> =
64-bit Kernel and Extension=20
>=20
> I see "No".
>=20
> In theory this Macbook can be made to run in 64-bit mode. Let me work =
on that and report back.
>=20
> Cheers,
> Kristy