[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6 clients: rx version pings

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2011 17:23:00 -0500

It's going to be  in afs_conn.c, probably in afs_Conn, the rx NatPing enabli=
ng.

Derrick

On Dec 2, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Stephan Wiesand <stephan.wiesand@desy.de> wrote:=

>=20
> On Dec 2, 2011, at 18:23 , Andrew Deason wrote:
>=20
>> On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 17:52:14 +0100
>> Stephan Wiesand <stephan.wiesand@desy.de> wrote:
>>=20
>>> we had seen this during EAKC already: 1.6 clients are supposed to ping
>>> file servers once a second, yet they do so at much higher rates. As
>>> the number of 1.6 clients is increasing here, this has become a real
>>> problem.
>>=20
>> If you're talking about the rx nat keepalive ping (they appear as "rx
>> version reply" packets on the wire), it's only supposed to be once every
>> 20 seconds. I believe there were issues before where that would be done
>> for _every_ connection to the fileserver, but I thought it was fixed...
>> somewhere (possibly post-1.6.0?). I assume Derrick can answer that
>> faster than I can find it.
>=20
> Yes, I believe that's what I'm talking about, and I recall it's even suppo=
sed to be 1/20 Hz, and sorry for not being precise. This is what I see on a f=
ormer fileserver:
>=20
> 18:37:32.916181 IP client.afs3-callback > server.afs3-fileserver:  rx vers=
ion (29)
> 18:37:32.916214 IP client.afs3-callback > server.afs3-fileserver:  rx vers=
ion (29)
> 18:37:32.916242 IP client.afs3-callback > server.afs3-fileserver:  rx vers=
ion (29)
> 18:37:32.916289 IP client.afs3-callback > server.afs3-fileserver:  rx vers=
ion (29)
> 18:37:32.916325 IP client.afs3-callback > server.afs3-fileserver:  rx vers=
ion (29)
>=20
> It rather seems like "every connection the client ever had"...
>=20
> rxdebug on the client lists no connection to the server.
>=20
> The total rate of those incoming packets is several kHz - from 21 (former)=
 clients.
>=20
>>> Is there any way to prevent the client from doing this? Any way to at
>>> least make it forget an old fileserver? Or at least reset the rate to
>>> the 1 Hz it should be? Can this be disabled altogether? Supposed I
>>> find the place in the code where these pings happen and just remove
>>> them, what would be the consequences?
>>=20
>> If they are the nat keepalive pings, they're just for keeping port
>> mappings open for nats and stateful firewalls and such. There should be
>> a way to turn them off, but I don't believe there is right now.
>=20
> Thanks a lot. I'll try to find them in the source and get rid of them. Sti=
ll hoping for a hint making this search more efficient, though.