[OpenAFS] 1.7.3 Windows 7 client explorer window delay

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:55:58 -0500

--------------enigE935677C6D7C56A64B1150D0

  <head>
pe">
    <title></title>
  </head>
    With a non-\\AFS network share, the server actually exists and
    responds to the request.=C2=A0 Therefore there is no delay.=C2=A0 The=
 core
    issue here is a design difference between XP and Vista.=C2=A0 <br>
    In XP, when a \\server\share search is performed, all of the network
    providers installed on the machine are queried and the answer is
    delivered when all of the network providers have responded.=C2=A0 If =
the
    AFS network provider responds immediately and the SMB (LanMan)
    network provider doesn't return for 30 seconds, the answer provided
    by the AFS network provider is not delivered to the application
    (e.g., explorer shell) for 30 seconds.=C2=A0 <br>
    In Vista, when a \\server\share search is performed, all of the
    network providers installed on the machine are queried but the first
    response is the one that is used and the request of the outstanding
    queries are ignored.<br>
    If the 10.254.254.253 entry in LMHOSTS is not preventing the delays,
    it means that the system believes that the net is accessible and the
    LanMan network provider is timing out trying to receive a
    response.=C2=A0=C2=A0 You can watch this using WireShark or Microsoft=
 Network
    Monitor both of which are free to download and install.<br>
    There are no delays when accessing \\AFS UNC paths from the command
    line because the afsredir.sys driver has already registered all
    paths beginning with \\AFS with the Multiple UNC Provider (UNC)
    interface in the kernel.=C2=A0 This is strictly an issue with the net=
work
    provider interface and applications that use the WNet APIs to
    browse.=C2=A0 This is not a problem on Vista, Server 2008 or Windows =
7.<br>
    There are no changes in 1.7.4 to address this because at the moment
    I'm not sure what can be done.<br>
    Jeffrey Altman<br>