[OpenAFS] Happy Holidays -- Another year in the life of OpenAFS

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:11:20 -0800

--20cf307f3400e6dbe604b4c4aab5

Does any docbook conversion support typesetting or am I back to latex?

I meant quarto, I have binding & shearing although I feel like Ben Franklin
sometimes.

The handbook is quite handy.

Tedc

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:48 AM, chas williams - CONTRACTOR <
chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> i would hazard that content is more important than 'ease of use'.  it
> really doesnt matter if you can carry the manual with you if it doesnt
> provide any useful help.
>
> there is nothing to prevent the current docbook from being rendered
> into "quarto" (i suspect you meant folio since quarto would be hard to
> use without cutting and binding). you could just do it by simply
> post-processing the .pdf with pdfnup.  if you feel there is something
> specific missing, please open a bug.  i know we are currently missing
> an index for the manual pages -- it got lost in the conversion.
>
> we also have .epub and .mobi (kindle) versions of the manuals available
> (generated from the same docbook/pod that is generating the .pdf
> and .html) for those that have moved beyond the whole dead trees thing.
>
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:51:39 -0800
> Ted Creedon <tcreedon@easystreet.net> wrote:
>
> > Its not the docs content, just the formatting and ease of use.
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Jeffrey Altman <
> > jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> permuted

> > > ability
> automagically do
> > >
> > > All of our documentation is now in Docbook.  They include hyperlinks,
> > > the appendix, index, etc.  The original IBM docs are of little interest
> > > in 2011.
> > >
> > > Jeffrey Altman

--20cf307f3400e6dbe604b4c4aab5

Does any docbook conversion support typesetting or am I back to latex?<br><=
br>I meant quarto, I have binding &amp; shearing although I feel like Ben F=
 CONTRACTOR <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil">=
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">
i would hazard that content is more important than &#39;ease of use&#39;. =
=A0it<br>
really doesnt matter if you can carry the manual with you if it doesnt<br>
provide any useful help.<br>
there is nothing to prevent the current docbook from being rendered<br>
into &quot;quarto&quot; (i suspect you meant folio since quarto would be ha=
rd to<br>
use without cutting and binding). you could just do it by simply<br>
post-processing the .pdf with pdfnup. =A0if you feel there is something<br>
specific missing, please open a bug. =A0i know we are currently missing<br>
an index for the manual pages -- it got lost in the conversion.<br>
we also have .epub and .mobi (kindle) versions of the manuals available<br>
(generated from the same docbook/pod that is generating the .pdf<br>
and .html) for those that have moved beyond the whole dead trees thing.<br>
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:51:39 -0800<br>
Ted Creedon &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tcreedon@easystreet.net">tcreedon@easystr=
eet.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Its not the docs content, just the formatting and ease of use.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Jeffrey Altman &lt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com">jaltman@secure-endpoin=
ts.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; On 12/22/2011 8:54 PM, David Boyes wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 1. Recreated the IBM format including hyperlinks, ap=
pendix, permuted<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; index,<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Etc<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; I have the original doc tools used to create the IBM docs, a=
nd the<br>
&gt; &gt; ability<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; to produce and translate the .boo files. These tools can aut=
omagically do<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; the above if asked.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; All of our documentation is now in Docbook. =A0They include hyper=
links,<br>
&gt; &gt; the appendix, index, etc. =A0The original IBM docs are of little =
interest<br>
&gt; &gt; in 2011.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Jeffrey Altman<br>