[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6.0 crash in afs_icl_AppendRecord on shutdown

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 26 Dec 2011 22:44:24 -0500

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:37:35 -0600
"Ryan C. Underwood" <nemesis-lists@icequake.net> wrote:

> Is this a known problem?  I am getting this sporadically with linux
> 3.0.0 and openafs 1.6.0.

I think this is an issue where afs_icl_AppendRecord doesn't grab a ref
for anything it's using, so if it races with client shutdown, it can try
to use freed memory. This should be fixed by gerrit 6431.

However, I think there is a larger issue where I think pioctls should
prevent AFS umount while they are running (otherwise we'd have to
re-check afs_shuttingdown on every glock drop or something for sane
behavior). Probably need some new osi_ os-specific glue to make that
happen everywhere; I'm not going to bother for now, but it's in #130424.

Also:

> kernel: [905941.693321] IP: [<ffffffffa07b6cc3>] afs_icl_AppendRecord+0xa3/0x610 [openafs]

This whole code path is in the "fstrace" tracing stuff. If you turn off
tracing, this should go away.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net