[OpenAFS] Re: proper way to bring down a file server?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:27:52 -0600

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:20:17 -0800
Jonathan Nilsson <jnilsson@uci.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation; I'll leave "old" servers online for a few
> hours in the future.  Not sure if that was the problem this time
> though, since it had been closer to 14 hours since the volume was
> moved when we noticed the problem.

14 hours after the volume move, or after the server was turned off?
(when was the server turned off relative to the moves finishing?)

I'm actually a little less sure of what we do if we cannot contact the
server at all. While I'm pretty certain this works if we get an error
code from the server (otherwise moves wouldn't really work), being
unable to contact the server at all in such a situation is less common,
and so there may be a bug lurking there.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net