[OpenAFS] Re: proper way to bring down a file server?

Jonathan Nilsson jnilsson@uci.edu
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:40:07 -0800

> 14 hours after the volume move, or after the server was turned off?
> (when was the server turned off relative to the moves finishing?)

I shutdown the server immediately after the last volume was moved off, so 14
hours after both events occurred is when we noticed the error.

> I'm actually a little less sure of what we do if we cannot contact the
> server at all. While I'm pretty certain this works if we get an error
> code from the server (otherwise moves wouldn't really work), being
> unable to contact the server at all in such a situation is less common,
> and so there may be a bug lurking there.

I haven't noticed the problem from any Windows clients, so that is good.

I'll be happy to help catch any lurking bugs! Just let me know what you need, if
anything.  I'm planning to reboot the new server to change the fileserver and
volserver arguments in BosConfig (I want to use "-L" and "-p 128", respectively)
so if you need me to turn on debugging or anything, I can do that.

--
Jonathan.Nilsson@uci.edu
Computing Services