[OpenAFS] Re: proper way to bring down a file server?

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:34:14 -0500

On 02/23/2011 04:40 PM, Jonathan Nilsson wrote:

>> 14 hours after the volume move, or after the server was turned off?
>> (when was the server turned off relative to the moves finishing?)
>
> I shutdown the server immediately after the last volume was moved off,
> so 14 hours after both events occurred is when we noticed the error.
>
>> I'm actually a little less sure of what we do if we cannot contact the
>> server at all. While I'm pretty certain this works if we get an error
>> code from the server (otherwise moves wouldn't really work), being
>> unable to contact the server at all in such a situation is less common,
>> and so there may be a bug lurking there.
>
> I haven't noticed the problem from any Windows clients, so that is good.
>
> I'll be happy to help catch any lurking bugs! Just let me know what
> you need, if anything.  I'm planning to reboot the new server to
> change the fileserver and volserver arguments in BosConfig (I want to
> use "-L" and "-p 128", respectively) so if you need me to turn on
> debugging or anything, I can do that.

You can just restart the fileserver process instead of rebooting the
entire server.

FYI, I'm using the following fileserver options on my servers:
     -L -udpsize 131071 -sendsize 131071 -rxpck 700 -p 128 -b 600
-nojumbo -cb 1500000

I believe those are the recommended fileserver options as well.

Jason