[OpenAFS] Re: Solaris 10 SPARC hang on shutdown

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:50:38 -0600

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:31:49 -0600
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:18:22 +0000
> Derrick Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm not surprised, tho given Oracle has not bothered to give OpenAFS
> > anything I guess they expect us to take your word for it.
> >
> > Yes, afsd is not really interested in exiting and would prefer unmount
> > to succeed
>
> This would be rather gross, but: do you think it possible to try to
> detect if we've got a pending KILL periodically, and signal an upcall
> through afsd to try and umount?

Or actually, it may be less work to just actually spawn kernel
threads... it's probably less work than I've been thinking it is. afsd
just exits if the daemon pioctls return anyway, so we could just have
them spawn a kernel proc and then return. We'd lose any per-process
priority goo that afsd sets for the proc, but I don't think we do any of
that on Solaris anyway.

It's still incredibly annoying, though. And it doesn't seem good to
change something like that in the middle of a stable series.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net