[OpenAFS] sysid

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:12:15 +0100

Quoting Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>:

>> ... when does the system automatically recreate the sysid file, and when
>> does it not do this? What are the requirements and can they be checked?
>
> if it's missing it should be recreated when the server registers with
> the VLserver.
>
> what does the FileLog tell you?

Oh, um... that sounds logical. :-)  Let's see:

    VL_RegisterAddrs rpc failed; The IP address exists on a different
       server; repair it
    VL_RegisterAddrs rpc failed; See VLLog for details

Those two lines repeated 37 times. All the VLLog said was:

    Using 82.95.170.57 as my primary address
    Starting AFS vlserver 4 (/usr/lib/openafs/vlserver)

That's my fault. While troubleshooting a problem, I decided to add an
internal address, 192.168.24.10, to the server's NetInfo file, in
addition to 82.95.170.57. The server's CellServDB only contains
82.95.170.57 (the same host also runs a ptserver and a vlserver).

After removing the internal address from the NetInfo file, the errors
were no longer present in the FileLog after the file server was
restarted and a new sysid was created automatically.

> f912d849d3201b004ae7dbacf2d4848836fa986f was needed such that an
> immediate failure would be retried, but
> 1) you should have it
> and
> 2) that only applied if you restarted everything (including vlserver)
> in a single server configuration, not just the fileserver.

What do you mean by "f912d849d3201b004ae7dbacf2d4848836fa986f"?

Cheers,

Jaap