[OpenAFS] calculating memory

Gary Gatling gsgatlin@eos.ncsu.edu
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:24:25 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I am in charge of several afs servers in our college. Right now there are
5 afs servers running on 5 SPARC based servers. We are ditching Solaris
since it sucks so bad and are going to move to Linux VM's running inside
of VMware.

I was asked how much disk and memory we would need for the VMs. I was then
critized for suggesting that each VM needs 4GB just like the real servers.
I did not suggest the 4GB in each server. That was decided by a guy who
quit a few years ago.

So....

Is there some rule of thumb for how one calculates the amout of RAM a AFS
file server should have. The 5 servers serve out about 2 TB of data. So
each fileserver has like about 500 GB of afs volumes on. Also how to go
about calculating will be good when the justifications for RAM are asked?

Thanks for any ideas anyone will have.

Gary Gatling      | ITECS Systems
ITECS, BOX 7901   | Operations and Systems Analyst
NCSU, Raleigh, NC | Email: gsgatlin@ncsu.edu
27695-7901        | Phone: (919) 513-4572 (5C Page Hall)