[OpenAFS] Re: Memory of a long-gone file server

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:25:28 -0500

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:14:59 -0400
Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:

> I've been doing more investigations of our AFS cell, and I noticed
> that the output of 'vos listaddr' includes:
>
> afsfs11.server.rpi.edu
> afsfs14.server.rpi.edu
> afsfs15.server.rpi.edu
> afsfs12.server.rpi.edu
> afsfs13.server.rpi.edu
>
> The minor issue is that we shut down afsfs11 a long time ago
> (probably summer of 2008).  It doesn't seem to be causing any
> trouble to have the entry there, but I was wondering what
> would be needed to get rid of it?

vos changeaddr afsfs11 -remove

If there are any volumes in the VLDB that claim they are still on that
server, it will yell at you and won't do anything. Otherwise, it should
be deleted from the VLDB.

Also just so you know, despite its name, don't use 'changeaddr' to
actually change addresses (only use it to remove addresses as above);
see the "CAUTIONS" section in the man page for vos_changeaddr.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net