[OpenAFS] Kindle Editions of OpenAFS documentation

Jake Thebault-Spieker summatusmentis@gmail.com
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 12:20:56 -0500

--90e6ba6e8b6e81087404a4a9bf52

I can confirm that the Kindle cannot read ePub, but .mobi files work just
fine. the Adobe Editions ePub files tend to be DRM'd, although also don't
require DRM to be used.

If we're talking about kindle-specific options, .mobi is probably best. If
we're looking for an "ereader format" that'll span most things, PDF or ePub
would be better, although ePub does exclude Kindle users.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> David Boyes <dboyes@sinenomine.net> writes:
>
> >> Would the community find it useful if I were to create Amazon Kindle
> >> Editions of the OpenAFS Documentation?
>
> > Adobe ePub versions would be helpful. That way all the common electronic
> > readers can use them, rather than use a restricted format.
>
> Except for the Kindle, which I don't think can read ePub (IIRC, it needs
> MOBI).  MOBI is also not a restricted format; it has hooks for DRM, but
> you don't have to use them.
>
> --
> Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Jacob Thebault-Spieker
Cell: (320) 288-6412
http://summatusmentis.com

--90e6ba6e8b6e81087404a4a9bf52

I can confirm that the Kindle cannot read ePub, but .mobi files work just f=
ine. the Adobe Editions ePub files tend to be DRM&#39;d, although also don&=
#39;t require DRM to be used. <br><br>If we&#39;re talking about kindle-spe=
cific options, .mobi is probably best. If we&#39;re looking for an &quot;er=
eader format&quot; that&#39;ll span most things, PDF or ePub would be bette=
r, although ePub does exclude Kindle users.<br>

y <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rra@stanford.edu">rra@stanford.ed=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

sinenomine.net">dboyes@sinenomine.net</a>&gt; writes:<br>
&gt;&gt; Would the community find it useful if I were to create Amazon Kind=
le<br>
&gt;&gt; Editions of the OpenAFS Documentation?<br>
&gt; Adobe ePub versions would be helpful. That way all the common electron=
ic<br>
&gt; readers can use them, rather than use a restricted format.<br>
IRC, it needs<br>
MOBI). =A0MOBI is also not a restricted format; it has hooks for DRM, but<b=
r>
you don&#39;t have to use them.<br>
--<br>
Russ Allbery (<a href=3D"mailto:rra@stanford.edu">rra@stanford.edu</a>) =A0=