[OpenAFS] Kindle Editions of OpenAFS documentation

Wed, 01 Jun 2011 13:39:49 -0400

--------------enig6750172DD78916747C6946B6

On 6/1/2011 1:22 PM, Lee Damon wrote:

>>> Adobe ePub versions would be helpful. That way all the common electro=
nic
>>> readers can use them, rather than use a restricted format.
>>
>> Except for the Kindle, which I don't think can read ePub (IIRC, it nee=
ds
>> MOBI).  MOBI is also not a restricted format; it has hooks for DRM, bu=
>> you don't have to use them.
>=20
> Recent kindles can read PDF and ePub.  MOBI is restricted in that the
> only commonly-available reader that can handle it is kindle.  Why limit=

> your audience like that?  ePub is common, un-restricted, and open. PDF
> is even more so (though less flexible in re-flow and other formatting -=

> if that matters to you).
>=20
> nomad

We already have PDF and Windows HtmlHelp (CHM) formatted titles.

Publishing as a Amazon Kindle book has two big benefits:

 1. It is native to the reader and has a better end-user experience
    that PDF.

 2. It is advertised on Amazon and as such helps to enhance the
    viability of OpenAFS as a product.

Jeffrey Altman