[OpenAFS] Re: Help: Add a new vol for home dirs

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:12:26 -0500

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:17:48 +0800
Lee Eric <openlinuxsource@gmail.com> wrote:

> [root@server ~]# df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
>                       9.8G  6.1G  3.2G  66% /
> tmpfs                 121M     0  121M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/vda1             485M   45M  415M  10% /boot
> /dev/sda              4.5G  301M  4.2G   7% /pool
> /dev/sdb              2.0G   68M  2.0G   4% /vicepa
> AFS                   8.6G     0  8.6G   0% /afs
> /dev/sdc              2.0G   33M  2.0G   2% /vicepb
> [root@server ~]# vos create server.herdingcat.internal /vicepb home
> vos : partition /vicepb does not exist on the server

'vos listpart' or 'vos partinfo' will list what partitions a server
thinks it has. A fileserver only looks at what partitions it has on
startup, so if /vicepb didn't exist when it started, it won't know that
it's there. So, restarting the fileserver process may make it appear.

> I don't know why it will happen. BTW, I also have a question about
> such deployment. The root.cell is /afs/herdingcat.internal so I can
> make a mount point at /afs/herdingcat.internal/home, my question is do
> I have to create another volume for individual users? I think I may
> specify users' home directories at /afs/herdingcat.internal/home when
> I add users.

You don't _have_ to do either way. You could have /afs/foo/home be just
one big volume for all users if you wanted, but most sites have one
volume per home directory. You can do space quotas per-volume and move
data around per-volume; for those and a few other reasons, it tends to
make sense to give each person their own volume.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net