[OpenAFS] Re: Question re fscking AFS filesystems

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:39:00 -0500

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:23:00 -0700
Allen Hayes <aphayes@cadence.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> For the past 3 weeks, one of my 4 AFS File servers suddenly loses
> (unattaches) all of its volumes.  This occurs daily, but each day it's
> 10 minutes later than the day before.  I have to reboot all 4 file
> servers and salvage everything daily after this happens.  In looking
> in the messages file, it indicates that fsck should be run on numerous
> filesystems due to maximal mount count reached.

Um, well, that shouldn't cause all of your volumes to go offline (I
assume you mean AFS volumes). Logs should say why they are doing that.

> I have read that if you run the standard Linux fsck program, you could
> end up with data corruption.  My question is this - where do I find
> the AFS fsck that I should use?  I'm running AFS version:  OpenAFS
> 1.4.11 built  2009-07-11

The AFS-specific fsck is only needed when you run the 'inode' fileserver
backend. With Linux on 1.4.11, you can only be running the 'namei'
fileserver backend, which uses the filesystem like any other program.
You can use the regular ext3 fsck without worries.

And there are known security problems with 1.4.11 that have been fixed
in 1.4.14. Just by the way.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net