[OpenAFS] Installing OpenAFS 1.6.0pre6 on Snow Leopard (MacBookPro2,2) not working

John Tang Boyland boyland@cs.uwm.edu
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:04:32 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
] On 6/21/2011 4:20 PM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
] > So that sounds like somehow the configuration got trashed, so
]
] The previous installation didn't work properly.  Perhaps a kernel deadloc=
] k?
]
] > I downloaded 1.6.0pre6 and started installing it.
] > It has been sitting at:
] > 	Running package scripts...
] > 	Installation time remaining: about a minute.
] > That was an hour ago, and it's still at the same point.
] >=20
] > Is there any way to tell where it's stuck?  It['s] faster to cc me
] > in a reply since I get openafs-info in digest form.
]
] The log then indicates:
]
] Jun 21 14:41:50 JohnBoyland installd[7296]: ./preupgrade: Shutting down
] afsd processes
]
] So its not that 1.6.0pre6 install doesn't work, its that the previous
] build you had install does not work and can't be shut down.  Try killing
] afsd.

I had about 33 afsd processes of various vintages hanging around.
kill got 2 to die.  The rest are still alive.  After
three or four kill -9's, four are changed from
	/usr/sbin/afsd -chunksize 18 -afsdb ...
	(afsd)
(There are all ones whose parent process isn't 1.)
But many other kill's and waiting ten minutes more hasn't helped,
none of the others have consented to die.

In general, I should have realized this problem since I have
never had a clean shutdown on this computer since I installed
AFS (the last install was, I think, pre4) -- it always hangs,
and requires a power off.

BTW: install time remaining is now "About 11 minutes".
It started increasing once I killed a few afsd processes.

So... I guess I have to abandon the install, and power down?
I'll await your advice.

Thanks!
John