[OpenAFS] Deploying OpenAFS on VMs

Berthold Cogel cogel@uni-koeln.de
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:13:46 +0200

Am 16.06.2011 05:29, schrieb Coy Hile:
> I have a question about deployment of OpenAFS on VMWare.  Assume for
> the sake of argument that one has a requirement to deploy OpenAFS on
> VMs -- to include deploying his fileservers as VMs.  Has anyone
> actually done that sort of deployment?  If so, did you make the vice
> partitions directly mapped disk LUNs (be they SAN LUNs or iSCSI LUNs),
> or did you just allocate additional disks as standard vmdk files? Is
> the additional overhead of using .vmdk files for vice partitions such
> that it would render the installation unusable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Coy

We're running our cell (5 db, 12 fileserver, rw +ro ) as VMs exept one
db server which is on a separate location where we couldn't get our
hands on an ESX server yet. The vice partitions are raw disk mappings
from our SAN.
AFS is the filesystem for almost all our web and typo3 servers. Each
server is hosting a couple of apache instances (20-30) which are running
with different tokens to isolate the processes (wrapped with kauth and
srvtab). We don't see any performance issues.

Regards
Berthold Cogel

--
Dipl. Chem. Dr. Berthold Cogel           University of Cologne
E-Mail: cogel@uni-koeln.de               Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK)