Openafs 1.7 and drive letters? was: Re: [OpenAFS] AFS share not writable

Gémes Géza geza@kzsdabas.hu
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:06:03 +0200

> On 6/28/2011 8:15 AM, Michael Richter wrote:
>>> Do not use Global Drives mounting, it is buggy and does not work.
>> We noticed that AFS remembers the submounts but does not show them. So
>> we have to take a new one everytime. But this is actually the only way
>> to get full write access to his afs drive.
> From the OpenAFS for Windows Release Notes:
>
> "3.41. Global Drives (aka Service Drive Letters) are no longer supported
> by Microsoft
> The Global DriveAuto-mount feature has been deprecated due to the
> following Microsoft KB article.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/services_and_redirected_drives.asp
>

> "The article says that services mounting drive letters are no longer
> supported by Microsoft and may act unpredictably. The experience other
> users have had is that if the connection to the OpenAFS CIFS/SMB server
> is terminated by the Windows CIFS client, the drive mapping may not be
> re-established until the machine is rebooted.
>
> "OpenAFS supports UNC paths and whenever possible applications should be
> modified to use UNC form \\AFS\<cellname>\<path> instead of drive letters.
>
> "Another problem with service mounted drive letters is that the drives
> are reported as local disk devices and cannot be resolved as being
> mapped to the \\AFS name space. As a result, AFS path ioctl operations
> will fail. The fs.exe and symlink.exe command line tools and the AFS
> Explorer Shell extension will not operate on service mounted drive letters."
>
> In addition, this functionality is going to be removed in 1.7 because
> the native AFS redirector cannot support it; there are no SMB submounts.

Hi,
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does that mean, that with IFS we
will be unable to map a drive letter to e.g.
\\afs\cellname\users\staff\username ?

Thanks

Geza