Openafs 1.7 and drive letters? was: Re: [OpenAFS] AFS share not writable

Gémes Géza geza@kzsdabas.hu
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:07:58 +0200

> On 6/28/2011 12:06 PM, Gémes Géza wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does that mean, that with IFS we
>> will be unable to map a drive letter to e.g.
>> \\afs\cellname\users\staff\username ?
>>
>> Thanks
> You can map drive letters to UNC paths using the Windows mechanisms to
> do so.  There are no SMB submounts.  A submount is "auto1" ->
> /afs/cellname/users/staff/username where the drive is mapped as "net use
> x: \\afs\auto1".
>
> Jeffrey Altman

Thanks, that sounds great!

We've never used service drive letters, so this wouldn't be a
functionality loss for us. (we've mapped drive letters as e.g. net use
Z: \\afs\cellname\users\staff\username)
I suppose, that IFS will also use UNC paths like \\afs\cellname\... by
default?

Thanks

Geza Gemes