[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.0pre2 (1.5.9902) for Windows Suitability

Jason D. McCormick jasonmc@sei.cmu.edu
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:58:20 -0500

I note with great happiness that the NetBIOS issue is fixed in 1.6.0pre2 fo=
r Windows 7.  We've been doing some testing and the \\AFS path has survived=
 everything we've thrown at it so far.  We'd like to push this out to our W=
indows 7 users but I wanted to clarify the expected stability of 1.6.0pre2.=
  From reading the changelog, it appears that for Windows the version calle=
d 1.5.9902 is simply the next version after 1.5.78 and would have the same =
expected general stability as its predecessor version. Thus for Windows, wh=
ere we have 1.5.7x deployed, moving to 1.5.9902 is simply the appropriate n=
ext release.  Is this a correct read on the Windows release situation?  We =
haven't encountered any unusual issues that would make us think otherwise, =
but I wanted to confirm since *nix follows a different stream (i.e. 1.4.x -=
> 1.6.x is a big upgrade) and that's what I follow the closest.

Thanks.

--
Jason McCormick
Unix Team Lead, Systems Group, IT