[Fwd: Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS Backups]

Thomas Smith theitsmith@gmail.com
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:41:18 -0700

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Uee'o Ouihi <uouihi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Thomas Smith wrote:
>
>> Teradactyl is _very_ expensive, cost prohibitively so for many. (I
>> recently looked at it as a potential replacement [for consolidation]
>> for my current backup systems--BackupAFS and Zmanda.)
>
> Seconded. At ${previousJob}, we contacted Teradactyl regarding TiBs and it
> was outrageously expensive. ${previousBoss} said it amounted to "information
> super-highway robbery." :-)

I wouldn't go _that_ far. :-)

Teradactyl has its place. It is very nice and very functional
software. Their pricing structure is geared, as someone previously
stated, more towards enterprise (i.e. large) environments. So it may
be cost prohibitive for small- or even medium-sized environment.

It really just depends on your environment, your needs, and your budget.