[OpenAFS] Multiple logins

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 18:23:34 +0100

Quoting Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de>:

>> ... Is it possible to prevent users from logging in more than once ...
>
> No, you can't. ...

Thought so. A workaround may be to install different desktop
environments and applications on some hosts.

> Which desktop env. is it that makes problems?

KDE, although I don't plan to use it at the site; it's too slow over
the 2.5Mbps WAN links.

> Maybe using another one is an option.

The current plan is to use Xfce, although I assume that I will see
many of the same problems as with KDE (most of the apps will be the
same).

> OTOH, why can they start it up on the other host at all? There's no need
> to install one in the first place since users can login using ssh with
> X11 forwarding and their windows will popup on their local X server display.

Unfortunately, the staff aren't that knowledgeable and it must be
possible to use the other workstations independently anyway. It's just
that sometimes one of the buildings is understaffed and personnel find
it very convenient to simultaneously login to hosts on different floors.

Cheers,

Jaap