[OpenAFS] Re: UDP timeouts

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Tue, 17 May 2011 14:29:08 +0200

Quoting Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>:

> If you want to look at this further, capturing network traffic to/from
> an idle client that triggers this would help say why. ...
>
> Or, if you turn the fileserver debugging up to at least 2 ... you
> could see how often you see this message:
>
> Checking for dead venii & clients

Somehow I'm not too interested in capturing lots of packets if you're
unsure that will do any good. I'm a lot happier with the new timeouts,
but the debug test seems simple enough. I set it up and indeed, with a
client machine sitting idle for over an hour and the UDP timeouts set
to 30 minutes, the above message appeared in the FileLog exactly once
every five minutes. No dropped packets were mentioned in the syslog
during the test.

> This will be addressed differently in 1.6 servers and clients and
> beyond, so I wouldn't worry so much about leaving an issue unresolved,
> if you don't wanna look into it further.

Unless you can think of something else that we can easily check up on,
capturing packets might be the only way to know for sure what's going
on.

On the other hand, the current UDP timeout values that I have now are
already much reduced. I'm willing to research this further, but only
if you think that whatever we might learn would benefit the 1.6
version. Otherwise, barring any major problems I might run into later
due to my current timeout values, I'm okay with the status quo.

Cheers,

Jaap