[OpenAFS] maximum volume size in OpenAFS 1.6

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:30:53 -0500

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 03:20:53PM -0500, Rich Sudlow wrote:
> What's the maximum volume size with OpenAFS 1.6?
>
> I don't believe that quota's are enforced when going over
> 2 TB volumes - is that correct?
>
> Does any site run this routinely?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Rich Sudlow
> University of Notre Dame
> Center for Research Computing - Union Station
> 310 West South St
> South Bend, In 46601
>
> (574) 631-7258 (office)
> (574) 807-1046 (cell)

Volume sizes can grow to a max of 16EiB on 64 bit systems.  Partition
sizes also have the same limit.

The quota size is still a signed 32 bit int IIRC.  So the max quota you
can set is 2TiB.  However, setting the quota to 0 or unlimited will
allow you to use any available space on the partition that volume is on.

I've seen 10TiB AFS partitions.  Things worked normally although the
output from fs lq does show some integers that have overflowed.

Jack Neely

--
Jack Neely <jjneely@ncsu.edu>
Linux Czar, OIT Campus Linux Services