[OpenAFS] Question about directory names

Todd Lewis utoddl@email.unc.edu
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:05:05 -0500

If you do

  fs lsm /afs/.<Cell-Name> /afs/<Cell-Name>

you'll see something like

'/afs/.Cell-Name' is a mount point for volume '%root.cell'
'/afs/Cell-Name' is a mount point for volume '#root.cell'

The difference is '%root.cell' will hit the read-write copy of root.cell,
while '#root.cell' will hit a read-only copy if one is available. Once you
hit a read-write, you'll get read-write volumes from there on down.

It looks as though your cell's root.cell volume has a couple of entries
that are not in the read-only replicas yet. Once somebody does a
  vos release root.cell
you will see the other entries in the "normal" path.

In short, it's an easy way to see the all-writable view of your cell's
volumes.

On 11/29/2011 01:44 PM, Hunter McMillen sent:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is probably a real beginner question but why do some cellnames begin
> with a period? I couldn't find anything about this in the docs, or perhaps
> I missed it but I was hoping someone could clear up my confusion.
>
> example:
> There are two entries the cell name, one with a '.' in front of it and one
> without.
>
> ls /afs/<Cell-Name>
> ls /afs/.<Cell-Name>
>
> The cell without the '.' has folders named: service and users inside it,
> The cell with the '.' has folders named: service, users, bin, and share.
>

> Thanks,
> Hunter McMillen

  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /             A plateau is a high form of flattery.            /