[OpenAFS] AFS 1.6.0 and AFS-perl module version 2.6.2

Norbert Gruener nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Sun, 9 Oct 2011 14:37:25 +0200

On Mon, Sep 19 2011, Simon Wilkinson wrote:
>=20
> On 19 Sep 2011, at 09:45, Staffan H=C3=A4m=C3=A4l=C3=A4 wrote:
>=20
> > I've been trying to compile the AFS perl module against openAFS
> > 1.4.14 on a 64-bit CentOS 6 Linux machine, but it looks like it's
> > not easy to get it to work.
>=20
> Yes, perl-AFS doesn't really work on 64bit platforms.

This is not completely true.  When I compiled it agains OpenAFS 1.4.12
and linked it with the "pic" versions of the OpenAFS libraries, it
passed ALL my test suites.  But to be honestly, we did not use it in
production.

>                                                       This is
> because its library dependencies are all a bit of a mess - it mixes
> PIC and non-PIC libraries, as well as mingling pthread and LWP code
> in the same object. It just about gets away with this on 32 bit
> platforms, but this doesn't work on 64bit,

see above ...

>                                            and no longer works with
> OpenAFS 1.6.0.

This is correct.

> I've been doing some work on sorting all of this out. This requires
> some OpenAFS library changes (so that we provide PIC versions of all
> of the symbols perl-AFS needs), which will be in 1.6.1, as well as
> patches to the perl-AFS code itself.

I will contact you about this by private email ...

Norbert
--=20
Ceterum censeo
Redmond esse delendam.