[OpenAFS] Re: Recover old vice partition

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:43:07 -0500

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:13:32 +0200
ProbaNet <info@probanet.it> wrote:

> Hello!
> 	We have an old vice partition (/vicepc) on an old backup
> hard-disk with data actually not used. Is there a way to access
> that data? We would like to bring its volumes online, if
> possible. Thank you!

How old is it? Does it contain a directory called AFSIDat? Do you know
what platform the fileserver was that last used the partition?

If there is an AFSIDat directory on it, you can probably just mount the
partition on any namei fileserver, and you should be able to get at the
data. The most convenient way may be to 'vos dump' all of the volumes on
it (you can get a list of volumes via 'vos listvol'), and then 'vos
restore' the volume dumps somewhere else.

If it does not contain an AFSIDat directory, I think you're going to
need to match the platform of the fileserver that last used it, and
bring it up on that platform. ("Platform" being, like, "Solaris" if it's
solaris, not specifically "Solaris 8" or anything like that.)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net