[OpenAFS] Re: Recover old vice partition

Tom Keiser tkeiser@sinenomine.net
Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:11:53 -0400

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wr=
ote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:13:32 +0200
> ProbaNet <info@probanet.it> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 We have an old vice partition (/vicepc) on an old backup
>> hard-disk with data actually not used. Is there a way to access
>> that data? We would like to bring its volumes online, if
>> possible. Thank you!
>
> How old is it? Does it contain a directory called AFSIDat? Do you know
> what platform the fileserver was that last used the partition?
>
> If there is an AFSIDat directory on it, you can probably just mount the
> partition on any namei fileserver, and you should be able to get at the

With one minor caveat: namei is not endian-agnostic.  Thus, you'll
have to read your vice partition on a machine of the same endianness
as the one that originally wrote the data.

-Tom