[OpenAFS] Re: Afs User volume servers in VM's

Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:46:57 -0400

--------------enig53C155304D9BB493E4D15CF7

On 10/26/2011 1:32 PM, Booker Bense wrote:
> The symptom we see is thread exhaustion due to write callbacks from man=
> clients for a single volume[1]. The problem is insidious as it's not a
> gradual failure, because everything works just fine
> until you hit a tipping point in the number of batch jobs.
>=20
> It's often a file that the user isn't even aware they are opening, but
> is a small file used by some library they are
> using. Sometimes tracking down the file can take significant
> effort.

The issue is not going to be callbacks on a volume since callbacks are
not issued on a per volume basis for read/write volumes and I assume
that these jobs are not issuing volume releases which would trigger
callback breaks on readonly volumes.

The more likely scenario are:

=2E file lock requests/releases on a specific file

=2E data stores to a particular file

=2E directory content changes (create, rename, link, unlink) in a single
directory

Jeffrey Altman