[OpenAFS] 1.4.x quorum election process?

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:49:51 -0400

> There are two sources of documentation that I know about: A long-ago paper
> by Mike Kazar, and the source code (which actually has reasonable comments).
> I actually have a copy of the paper if you care.
>
> The key source code you want is ${OPENAFS}/src/ubik/vote.c.  And in my
> reading other than the support for clone servers nothing has changed in
> terms of the quorum selection (it's the lowest IP address, actually).

Thanks Ken,

Yes, lowest, of course (sorry).

I can't view the .PS documents yet, but I'm not sure it's
necessary to view them if nothing has changed (I was sure
it had).

The "lowest IP address" favoritism decision is totally
arbitrary, no?

We're kind of screwed unless there's a way around it,
and really would not like to have to apply a local patch
with every rollout.

Andrew, Simon, Jeffrey, Derrick, et al...

Would a "favor highest" patch be accepted if it was controlled
via configure script, defaulting to the traditional behavior?