[OpenAFS] 1.4.x quorum election process?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:58:29 -0400

--------------enigE3941025BD1D7243CFE46DA8

On 10/26/2011 1:49 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> Would a "favor highest" patch be accepted if it was controlled
> via configure script, defaulting to the traditional behavior?

I would object.  A quorum requirement is that all servers are in
agreement with the server configuration and the quorum algorithm.  Any
change to the quorum algorithm needs to be exposed as part of the
negotiation in order for servers to not get into a state where a
misconfigured server or a server executing with an alternate algorithm
does not result in a failure to achieve quorum.

One of the requirements for pushing patches upstream is that they must
not cause people to hang themselves due to inadvertent use.

Think about what you would need to do if you were running with this
patch locally.  Every sysadmin that upgrades these servers must remember
that the patch is in place (or how the servers were built/configured)
and not forget.  If you leave tomorrow, is the next sysadmin going to be
burned by this change when s/he attempts to install openafs distributed
binaries in your cell?

That is not to say that we don't need to improve things.  We know we do
and it has been talked about for nearly a decade.  However, it is also
hard and since it is hard it has repeatedly been put off.

Jeffrey Altman