[OpenAFS] 1.4.x quorum election process?

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:21:52 -0400

> Think about what you would need to do if you were running with this
> patch locally.  Every sysadmin that upgrades these servers must remember
> that the patch is in place (or how the servers were built/configured)
> and not forget.  If you leave tomorrow, is the next sysadmin going to be
> burned by this change when s/he attempts to install openafs distributed
> binaries in your cell?

You could make the same argument (that you're making) with
at least 5 other existing OpenAFS command-line or build-time
options.  Example: --enable-namei-fileserver vs. not, drop
on a server with existing vice partitions in the wrong
style.

Build/implementation decisions are encapsulated in build
scripts of ours.  Additionally, those decisions are documented
in our wiki.  If he/she hasn't read our internal documentation
about our cell, which is extensive and clear in our wiki, then
yes, he/she will get burned.

Just like he/she would with any other option for cell
or server configuration.