[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4.x quorum election process?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:59:50 -0400

>I thought there was some bug preventing this from working in the
>specific case where the lowest IP was a clone. I remember reading a bug
>report somewhere about it... but I can't find a ticket matching that
>description. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, or am I just
>making stuff up? (I'd love to be wrong about this)

I remember Hartmut telling me he wrote the "clone" code for this exact
scenario, so if it _doesn't_ work then I would classify it as a bug.

Nothing at first glance makes me think it wouldn't work if a clone was
the lowest address ... I see that clones never are considered the "best"
host, so while they'll send out beacon requests until a sync site is
elected, they're never a viable candidate.

>Also, there is a patch from jhutz in gerrit (2287) for the -ubiknocoord
>option, which prevents a site from running for election. It mentions how
>this alters the voting numbers slightly, since lowest host normally gets
>an extra vote... maybe that's all I was thinking of with that other bug,
>I'm not sure.

My reading of the clone code is that it handles the "magic" host (the
one who gets the extra tiebreaker vote) correctly; the lowest host
that is not a clone is the tiebreaker.

--Ken