[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.002/ Windows 7 / 64 bit

John Tang Boyland boyland@uwm.edu
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:04:17 -0500

Yet another problem found while trying to get OpenAFS to work on a 64
bit Windows 7.  Using my unrecommended way of installing Openafs (first
32 bit and then 64 on top) we got the student's computer working with
OpenAFS.  When their tokens expired, OpenAFS stopped working, even
getting new tokens didn't help.  We couldn't get "aklog" to work (*)
NET VIEW \\AFS showed the dreaded System
53 error.  We uninstalled 64 bit and reinstalled.

(*) (aklog wanted the 32 bit Krb5 DLL, and even installing the extra 32 bit
utilities didn't work, eventually after reinstalling everything, I found
I could go directly itn othe Program FIles/OpenAFS/CLient/Programs
directory and execute aklog.exe directly, but that was later so
I don't know what aklog would have done before the reinstall).

Now aklog.exe -d freezes after the first step:

Authenticating to cell cs.uwm.edu.
Getting v5 tickets: afs/cs.uwm.edu@CS.UWM.EDU
[FROZEN]

It never makes it past this point.

The KDC log shows:

Sep 12 12:51:24 solomons.cs.uwm.edu krb5kdc[571](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes {18 17 16 23 1 3 2}) 129.89.10.xxx: ISSUE: authtime 1315849884, etypes {rep=1 tkt=16 ses=16}, Xxx@CS.UWM.EDU for krbtgt/CS.UWM.EDU@CS.UWM.EDU

(where xxx is redacted)

so it seems that the KDC is responding but aklog never gets it.

He has the default windows firewall (permit outgoing connection even if
they don't match the list) plus OpenAFS installed the 7001 opening for
incomng connections.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
John