[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.6.002 on Windows; "No Network Access" doesn't mean anything

John Tang Boyland boyland@uwm.edu
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:25:42 -0500

I'm embarrassed to say that after two years of trying to get students to
successfully install OpenAFS on Windows, I find that one of the
diagnostics I was using is irrelevant.  When a student installed OpenAFS
but didn't get things to work, since I don't know Windows at all,
I would try to wander around the myriad pages in the explorer.

I stumbled on the "Network and Sharing Center" and sure enough
AFS would be listed as an "Unidentified Network" and that
it had "No network access".  I would click on "AFS" and get
an AFS status page that shows IPv4 connectivity: No network access
and activity: XXX packets sent and 0 received.

We would try various magic incantations to get AFS to work.
If they worked (i.e. we could go to \\afs\cs.uwm.edu in the Explorer
window), the student would be happy and go off.  And I wouldn't
see the computer again.

Finally someone got me my own computer to experiment with and
(surprise surpise) even when AFS is working just fine, the Network
and Sharing center STILL says that AFS has no network access.
So, a view that I thought would help with diagnosis is worthless.

Regards,
John