[OpenAFS] Retiring the LWP fileserver

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:52:16 -0400

Cases I knew of LWP fileserver being used:
Linux with "new" pthreads support until what turned out to be bugs in
our pthread support
were addressed. LD_ASSUME_KERNEL also could be used at the time to
"assume" an older kernel
and assume LinuxThreads.
Previous NetBSD versions: their pthread support was buggy.

As far as I know, the LWP fileserver (nor volserver) are neither
necessary nor desirable anywhere.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> We're currently maintaining 3 versions of the AFS fileserver - the LWP on=
e, a "normal" pthreaded fileserver, and the demand attach fileserver. The "=
normal" pthreaded fileserver has been the default for all of our supported =
platforms since the 1.4 release.

> I'd like to simplify the build tree, and the fileserver code, by removing=
 support for the LWP fileserver. We have a long term goal of removing LWP f=
rom the tree entirely, so this is one step along the way. If I do so, this =
change would only target master - the LWP fileserver would remain on the 1.=
6 tree.

> Is there anyone out there deliberately making use of the LWP fileserver w=
ho would be affected by its removal from master?