[OpenAFS] Retiring the LWP fileserver

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:19:32 +0200

On Sep 13, 2011, at 14:52 , Derrick Brashear wrote:

> Cases I knew of LWP fileserver being used:
> Linux with "new" pthreads support until what turned out to be bugs in
> our pthread support
> were addressed. LD_ASSUME_KERNEL also could be used at the time to
> "assume" an older kernel
> and assume LinuxThreads.
> Previous NetBSD versions: their pthread support was buggy.
>=20
>=20
> As far as I know, the LWP fileserver (nor volserver) are neither
> necessary nor desirable anywhere.

The last time I tried, only the LWP fileserver worked under User Mode =
Linux :-) But then, that was in 2003. And I guess nobody cares.

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> =
wrote:
>> We're currently maintaining 3 versions of the AFS fileserver - the =
LWP one, a "normal" pthreaded fileserver, and the demand attach =
fileserver. The "normal" pthreaded fileserver has been the default for =
all of our supported platforms since the 1.4 release.
>>=20
>> I'd like to simplify the build tree, and the fileserver code, by =
removing support for the LWP fileserver. We have a long term goal of =
removing LWP from the tree entirely, so this is one step along the way. =
If I do so, this change would only target master - the LWP fileserver =
would remain on the 1.6 tree.
>>=20
>> Is there anyone out there deliberately making use of the LWP =
fileserver who would be affected by its removal from master?

--=20
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-
Platanenenallee 6