[OpenAFS] Re: afsd.fuse usage?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:03:25 -0400

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:29:26 -0400
> Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> sick idea: use the rmtsysd interface to do it, since we already have
>> tools that support it (all of them).
>
> Yeahbut, I mean, how do you specify which client to talk to? There could
> be several on the machine. I don't think straight rmtsys would work
> because of that, but I guess the same AFSSERVER mechanism could be used
> to specify? Like, have a syntax that instead says "talk to the cm
> mounted at X" instead of a host name. From there I was thinking
> communicating using xattrs, but I don't know.

we could add alternate port support for rmtsys, and then you have a
virtual file in the top of the mounted (fuse) afs, which specifies
localhost:port

export AFSSERVER=`cat /path/to/my/afs/.AFSSERVER`

and then just do stuff.

the xattrs method is not a bad idea either, i wish the GSoC project along those
lines had gotten on further.