[OpenAFS] Re: New volumes get strange IDs and are unusable

Torbjörn Moa moa@fysik.su.se
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:22:17 +0200

On 09/19/2011 04:48 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:33:06 +0200
> Torbjörn Moa <moa@fysik.su.se> wrote:
>
>> [root@sysafs2 ~]# vos create sysafs2 /vicepa testatest
>> Volume 2620303136 created on partition /vicepa of sysafs2
>>
>> [root@sysafs2 ~]# vos examine testatest
>> Could not fetch the information about volume 2620303136 from the serve=
>> : No such device
>> Volume does not exist on server sysafs2.physto.se as indicated by the =
VLDB

> What version? Some things used to have problems with volume IDs over
> 2147483648 but I thought we've fixed them all by now.

On this particular node we run 1.4.6, but it varies between servers.

>> Note the big diff in volume id's. The id's starting with 536 are
>> normal for my cell, the 2620... I have never seen before.
>
> Something bumped the "max volume id" counter in the vldb by a large
> number. This could happen in many different ways... unfortuntely, if yo=
> don't have the logging level turned up in the vlserver or have audit
> logs turned on, it's going to be difficult to determine what did it. Do
> you run any kind of periodic checking for consistency of volumes vs vld=
> or anything like that?

Hmmm, yes we do. We have a nagios check running on all servers that does
a "vos syncserv "$server" -d" and "vos syncvldb "$server" -dryrun"
periodically. I guess you are implying I shouldn't do that...