[OpenAFS] Windows client network behaviour

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:56:10 +0200

On 2011-09-21 13:09, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> In the hunt for oddities regarding the new IFS Windows client I have
> observed a problem causing bad performance, and hopefully someone has
> some idea about what is going on.
>
> Environment:
> Server: OpenAFS 1.4.12.1, CentOS 5.3
> Client: Windows 7, OpenAFS 1.7.1

> Any hints anyone? I think this smells as traffic shaping due to the
> quite exact transmit rate but
> since the QoS module is uninstalled and the behaviour is seen on the
> windows network interface
> I have no clue where it may be.

Not really a idea or anything, but:
- encryption enabled or disabled on client?
- local cache on client on slow harddrive?

Our current setup does show 20-40 MB/sec with OpenAFS 1.7.1 on 64bit=20
system, depending on the server.

> A side note: Going via a SMB-AFS gateway on the same network gives
> significantly better
> performance.
>
> -- Ragge

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723