[OpenAFS] Windows client network behaviour

Anders Magnusson ragge@ltu.se
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:42:39 +0200

On 09/21/2011 02:56 PM, Lars Schimmer wrote:
> On 2011-09-21 13:09, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>>
>> In the hunt for oddities regarding the new IFS Windows client I have
>> observed a problem causing bad performance, and hopefully someone has
>> some idea about what is going on.
>>
>> Environment:
>> Server: OpenAFS 1.4.12.1, CentOS 5.3
>> Client: Windows 7, OpenAFS 1.7.1
>
>> Any hints anyone? I think this smells as traffic shaping due to the
>> quite exact transmit rate but
>> since the QoS module is uninstalled and the behaviour is seen on the
>> windows network interface
>> I have no clue where it may be.
>

> Not really a idea or anything, but:
> - encryption enabled or disabled on client?
Disabled.

> - local cache on client on slow harddrive?
No, state-of-the-art HP workstation.  Note that this is more-or-less the
behaviour
of all our Win7 machines with the IFS client, all of them are really new
hardware.

> Our current setup does show 20-40 MB/sec with OpenAFS 1.7.1 on 64bit
> system, depending on the server.
Yes, and that is what we expect also, therefore I am investigating this.

-- Ragge