[OpenAFS] Re: afsd.fuse usage?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:17:26 -0500

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:40:48 -0500
Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> wrote:

> Something is broken or not returning particularly useful error messages:
>
> hozer@six:~$ /usr/sbin/afsd.fuse /tmp/afs
> fuse: bad mount point `': No such file or directory
> hozer@six:~$ /usr/sbin/afsd.fuse -- /tmp/afs
> fuse: bad mount point `--': No such file or directory
> hozer@six:~$ /usr/sbin/afsd.fuse -- -d /tmp/afs
> fuse: bad mount point `-d': No such file or directory
> hozer@six:~$ /usr/sbin/afsd.fuse -debug -- -d /tmp/afs
> fuse: bad mount point `-d': No such file or directory

None of these are proper usage of afsd. Use -mountdir to specify the dir
you want to mount AFS in, and -cachedir for the cache directory (or
specify the cache directory in "cacheinfo"). You must create the mount
dir and the cache dir before starting afsd. The failed assert you
mentioned in the other email was from failing to mount /afs (or actually
in your case /tmp/afs/), which on various platforms results in a failed
assert (in the kernel that would panic, and for the UKERNEL "platform"
we actually abort). That might be something with the dirs not being
right, or the relevant AFS resources actually not being accessible. I'd
try with -dynroot to increase your chances of success.

Yeah, the error messages suck. I thought you should see something more
useful if we check for the mount dir ourselves, which I thought we do,
but maybe only on master. You should get better error handling in the
future, but this is still considered "experimental" :)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net