[OpenAFS] Request for Assistance with OpenAFS

James Bricknell james.bricknell@atg-it.co.uk
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:45:49 +0100

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. The paths in use aren't as long as 32, 767 character=
s, but the 32,767 limit cannot be utilised. NTFS does indeed allow for a m=
aximum limit of a path that is 32,767 characters in length, but the proble=
m is caused by the applications that access the file system. Most Windows =
applications, including Explorer in Server 2008 R2 are written to an older=
 API for backwards compatibility, and it is this that creates the 255 char=
acter limit problem.

I think that the maximum path that we have is probably in excess of 1000 c=
hracters, which I agree is excessive, but I don't make the rules here!

Regards,

James

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.or=
g] On Behalf Of Michael Richter
Sent: 11 April 2012 13:13
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Request for Assistance with OpenAFS

Are you sure this is the problem?
According to Wikipedia, NTFS has max 255 characters in filename and max 32=
k characters in pathname. HFS+ has max 255 characters in filename and unli=
mited path length. Do you really have such long paths (more than
32,767 characters!!!)?

Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen
Michael Richter

schrieb James Bricknell:
> Hopefully this is a quick and stupid question.
>
> I have Mac clients on the network who have data in deep folder=20
> structures with long filename paths, well in excess of the Windows
> 256(255) character limit, and they need to copy their data across onto=20=

> a Windows 2008 R2 Server, which obviously fails when the length of the=20=

> filename goes over this limit.
>
> If I install Open AFS on this Windows server, will this allow the=20
> clients to successfully copy the data to a share on an NTFS formatted=20=

> volume on the Windows box? Also, if version 1.7 is implemented as a=20
> native Windows file system, would I need to format a disk or partition=20=

> on the Windows box as an AFS volume for the Mac users to be able to=20
> copy their long filename structures without issue, and would this data=20=

> be able to be=20browsed locally on the Windows server following copying=20=

> it across?

> This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service=
.
> For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com=20

Michael Richter
Technische Universit=E4t Berlin