[OpenAFS] Request for Assistance with OpenAFS

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:20:58 -0400

--------------enig571BF99316C77ABCD422E931

On 4/11/2012 7:01 AM, James Bricknell wrote:
> Hopefully this is a quick and stupid question.
>=20
> I have Mac clients on the network who have data in deep folder
> structures with long filename paths, well in excess of the Windows
> 256(255) character limit, and they need to copy their data across onto =
> Windows 2008 R2 Server, which obviously fails when the length of the
> filename goes over this limit.
>=20
> If I install Open AFS on this Windows server, will this allow the
> clients to successfully copy the data to a share on an NTFS formatted
> volume on the Windows box? Also, if version 1.7 is implemented as a
> native Windows file system, would I need to format a disk or partition
> on the Windows box as an AFS volume for the Mac users to be able to cop=
> their long filename structures without issue, and would this data be
> able to be browsed locally on the Windows server following copying it
> across?

For starters, OpenAFS is not a local file system like NTFS.  It is not
something that can be installed on local disk and then exported using
CIFS to OSX clients.  The OpenAFS Windows client and OSX clients are
file system clients that provide access to file system storage servers
from dedicated AFS file servers.  You could build an AFS cell (volume
location database, protection database, and a fileserver) and use your
existing Active Directory as the Kerberos realm.  Then install the OSX
OpenAFS client and copy your data to your
/afs/local-cell/some-volume-path/.  By installing the OpenAFS Windows
client on a Windows Server you could then access the data in
\\afs\local-cell\some-volume-path\ to copy the data to the local disk.

However, if all you need is a one time copy I would suggest using an
archival tool such a zip, b2zip, 7zip, etc. to compress the entire tree
of files into a single file and then copy it directly from OSX to the
Windows Server via CIFS.

Jeffrey Altman