[OpenAFS] Thunderbird on Windows with OpenAFS 1.7.9

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:01:59 -0500

On W7 64bit OpenAFS-1.7.9, I am seeing a problem that may be
related to quota, or a 2^31 bytes quota problem.

I have my Thunderbird 6.0.2 files stored in AFS, and on two mornings
when reading mail for the first time that day, I have a pop up window showing:
  "The message could not be filtered to folder "XXXX" because writing to
   folder failed. Verify that you have enough disk space, and that you have
   write privileges to the file system, then try again."

This will pop up for each new message destined for folder XXXX.
It was a different folder the previous day. Other mail filters work.

 From Unix, the volume and partition show:
fs lq .
Volume Name                    Quota       Used %Used   Partition
user.xxx.xxxxxx.MZ           7500000    2691412   36%         27%

%  vos partinfo xxxxxx.anl.gov /vicepc
Free space on partition /vicepc: 160864555 K blocks out of total 221645432

And if I am reading this correctly, the Quota is over 2^32 bytes and Used
is over 2^31 bytes too.

I had been logged off over night, but the machine was still running.
The XXXX folder may have been the one I was in last, the previous day,
when I stopped Thunderbird, so this could be some file is not being
closed correctly, then the token runs out overnight.

Stopping Thunderbird, flushing the volume, restarting Thunderbird
and running the mail filter again appears to work.

I could split the volume up, so the quota is less then 2^31,
if that would help.

1.7.6 was working fine.

1.7.8 had two strange problems with Thunderbird exiting on its own.

Any ideas?

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory