[OpenAFS] Re: Fallback Time with Multiple RO Sites

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:04:52 -0500

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:45:58 -0700
Ken Elkabany <Ken@Elkabany.com> wrote:

> But, when running "ls" from within the mount point, the client hangs
> for about 20 to 30 seconds, and then finally brings up the contents.
> I'm assuming the 20-30 second hang is the timeout time for the first
> server. Is there a way to decrease the timeout allowance?

I would've expected closer to 50 seconds, but it's possible some other
operation started trying to contact the server before that. The default
'dead' timeout (meaning, we get no response from the other end of any
kind) is 50 seconds. You can sort of change this on Linux by altering
the afs.rx_deadtime sysctl, but I'm not sure how often that's used / how
well it is honored (you might need to set that before afsd starts).

In addition, we may be able to detect downed peers more quickly if we
processed ip errors from the Linux kernel. But we don't do that
currently.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net