[OpenAFS] Re: Fallback Time with Multiple RO Sites

Ken Elkabany Ken@Elkabany.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:15:34 -0700

--f46d043be1d0b2c03f04bdfc3c25

Yes, you're correct. Upon retrying it, it took 56.7 seconds. Thanks for the
explanation. We'll try out the sysctl, and "fs setserverprefs".

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:45:58 -0700
> Ken Elkabany <Ken@Elkabany.com> wrote:
>
> > But, when running "ls" from within the mount point, the client hangs
> > for about 20 to 30 seconds, and then finally brings up the contents.
> > I'm assuming the 20-30 second hang is the timeout time for the first
> > server. Is there a way to decrease the timeout allowance?
>
> I would've expected closer to 50 seconds, but it's possible some other
> operation started trying to contact the server before that. The default
> 'dead' timeout (meaning, we get no response from the other end of any
> kind) is 50 seconds. You can sort of change this on Linux by altering
> the afs.rx_deadtime sysctl, but I'm not sure how often that's used / how
> well it is honored (you might need to set that before afsd starts).
>
> In addition, we may be able to detect downed peers more quickly if we
> processed ip errors from the Linux kernel. But we don't do that
> currently.
>
> --
> Andrew Deason
> adeason@sinenomine.net

--f46d043be1d0b2c03f04bdfc3c25

Yes, you&#39;re correct. Upon retrying it, it took 56.7 seconds.=A0Thanks f=
or the explanation.=A0We&#39;ll try out the sysctl, and &quot;fs setserverp=
PM, Andrew Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomin=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:45:=
58 -0700<br>
Ken Elkabany &lt;Ken@Elkabany.com&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; But, when running &quot;ls&quot; from within the mount point, the clie=
nt hangs<br>
&gt; for about 20 to 30 seconds, and then finally brings up the contents.<b=
r>
&gt; I&#39;m assuming the 20-30 second hang is the timeout time for the fir=
st<br>
&gt; server. Is there a way to decrease the timeout allowance?<br>
ome other<br>
operation started trying to contact the server before that. The default<br>
&#39;dead&#39; timeout (meaning, we get no response from the other end of a=
ny<br>
kind) is 50 seconds. You can sort of change this on Linux by altering<br>
the afs.rx_deadtime sysctl, but I&#39;m not sure how often that&#39;s used =
/ how<br>
well it is honored (you might need to set that before afsd starts).<br>
In addition, we may be able to detect downed peers more quickly if we<br>
processed ip errors from the Linux kernel. But we don&#39;t do that<br>
currently.<br>
--<br>
Andrew Deason<br>