[OpenAFS] Re: Home directory unavalable at certain times.

Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:28:20 -0400

--------------enig8D207D966E6E04F1D3208BC3

On Friday, April 27, 2012 12:46:54 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:55:11 -0400
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no RO replica on afs-prod-fs608.it.su.se.  Therefore, while t=
he
>> replication is being performed there are no copies of the RO volume
>> which are up to date and online.
>
> vos updates up to half of the remote RO sites at once; it never takes
> all of them offline at the same time. I assumed it specifically did tha=
> to avoid the exact case you're talking about.

In this particular case, they are releasing the volumes every five=20
minutes.  Depending upon
when the VLDB info was obtained there may not be a full set of file=20
servers listed that
are up to date from the perspective of the client.    The Windows=20
client has a 10 minute
interval for resetting the status of an offline volume to online.  I=20
can certainly see how the
specific circumstances here can (a) result in an incomplete set of=20
readonly instances to start
with and a failure when none are left in an online state.

Jeffrey Altman